If you’ve been looking for a food vacuum sealer that will easily fit on your kitchen counter and enable you to vacuum seal a wide range of food and food types, then look no further than the FoodSaver V3835 Vacuum Sealing System.
With a set of buttons that allow you to be fully in control of sealing and vacuum sealing processes, the FoodSaver V3835 is a kitchen must have for anyone familiar with the techniques of both sealing and vacuum sealing, but currently feel they don’t have enough control over how it takes place, even before it starts.
The FoodSaver V3835 vacuum sealer allows you to completely customise your sealing and or vacuum sealing processes, starting with the heat seal bags themselves. The vacuum sealer comes with a heat seal roll holder to allow you to store your roll of heat seal plastic, and make use of the built in bag cutter – allowing you to cut your own bags to the sizes that suit and are best for you, time and time again. This is beneficial for two reasons: firstly, you don’t have to be concerned over the fact that you don’t have enough space in your vacuum sealing bag to fit a whole joint of meat or a whole bird; and secondly, the vacuum seal bags don’t use more plastic than is needed, taking up less space in the refrigerator, freezer, cupboard, and or pantry – not to mention how much more cost efficient it is to be able to only use what you need.
The FoodSaver V3835 also allows you to distinguish to the vacuum sealer, when you put the food in your vacuum seal bags, exactly what is moist food (such as cream that could be used for ice cream in sous vide cooking) and what is dry food (food with very little moisture content such as cereal or wilted vegetables, such as spinach), meaning that you get the best results from the vacuum sealer time and time again with very little effort on your part.
- Space-saving vertical design
- Fully automatic operation with 2 vacuum speeds
Our FoodSaver V3835 Review
The FoodSaver V3835 also allows you to have a measure of control over the vacuum sealing process by selecting from two different vacuum speeds, to best suit whatever food it is that you’re vacuum sealing, for example, you would use the fast speed setting when it won’t affect the food except to hurry the process along in order to maintain the most hygienic environment possible – preventing anaerobic bacteria from entering the vacuum seal bags and making your food highly dangerous to ingest.
This particular model also will quite easily fit onto your kitchen counter with a design that enables you to have the vacuum sealer on your workstation at the same time as other appliances, such as a kettle (for boiling the water for quick-blanching vegetables in order to flash freeze them – see our article on how to vacuum seal fruits and vegetables), meaning that you don’t have to rearrange your kitchen simply to use the FoodSaver V3835.
By using the CrushFree Instant Seal in order to protect the more fragile foods (such as a rhubarb crumble) during the sealing process, which stops your meal becoming an unrecognizable mess and also, more importantly, prevents bits of food from getting into the seal while the seal is being formed as the overall strength of the seal would weaken, leading to air gaps and the introduction of oxygen in the internal environment (the vacuum seal bags) and therefore aerobic bacteria which would make your food inedible (you could fall prey to any number of symptoms of a pathogenic host invasion via food poisoning – stomach aches, vomiting .etc.)
The FoodSaver V3835 allowed us to vacuum seal meals and individual foods, as well as have the ability to seal the bags without vacuuming out the air beforehand. We vacuum sealed, and sealed, a range of fruit, vegetables, meats, poultry and dry food.
We found that this particular model easily fitted into the dimensions of our test kitchen and we feel confident (as our test kitchen is built to look and function like a real kitchen as much as possible – but there are numerous different designs of kitchen, ours is open plan so we nearly always have space) that it will fit comfortably into any home it’s put into.
FoodSaver V3835 Pros & Cons
FoodSaver V3835 Best Features
- Space saving design – this clever and well thought-out design of the vacuum sealer is exactly what allows the FoodSaver V3835 to integrate well into any kitchen it’s put in – it doesn’t matter whether your kitchen is open plan, one wall or galley, the FoodSaver V3835 vacuum sealer will fit in regardless without causing any significant measure of disruption to your kitchen’s layout.
- Removable drip tray – allowing you to keep your kitchen clean while you carry out your necessary preparation for food storage is easy and painless thanks to the removable drip tray. Any stray droplets of moisture are automatically collected in this drip tray (that can be put straight into the dishwasher) to prevent an overflow of liquid, and as a result, it definitely helps to keep your kitchen clean.
- Extra wide sealing strip – the large width of the sealing strip ensures the maximum security and integrity to your seals when vacuum sealing, if the bag was pierced at the top of the seal, it wouldn’t necessarily affect the food in the vacuum sealing bag (although if you do notice that the vacuum sealing bag is no longer airtight, you should attempt to use the food up as quickly as possible – after you’ve confirmed that the environment that the food is contained in is still airtight and there is no noticeable spoilage to the food (it looks and smells normal) although you should always cook the food thoroughly)
FoodSaver V3835 Conclusion
The FoodSaver V3835 is the vacuum sealer for anyone that is confident with the vacuum sealing process, but feels that they can make it more efficient (in terms of time and or money), and also enjoys an appliance that makes cleaning up faster.
As stated throughout the review, this particular model is most definitely intended for beginners – and for those who don’t find themselves regularly sealing. If you’re looking for a budget model that will simply get the job done, then this model may just be perfect for you.