It is estimated that about one third of the non-canned food we buy is thrown out amounting to about $100 for every family each month. A great way to reduce your waste is to make the food last longer. Many people already save leftover food by freezing it but, obviously, not all foods are suitable for freezing. The refrigerator is another option but as we are all only to well aware this is only a very short term option. If you are like me you will put food in the refrigerator for a few day and then throw it out when it starts to go off. Using plastic containers can take up a lot of room while plastic and foil wrap is an option it is not an ideal solution.
One option that will greatly extend the freshness of your food for longer without taking up extra space is to vacuum seal your food. Vacuum sealing can extend the freshness of food by up to five times longer than normal. Vacuum sealing will extend the freshness of food whether stored in the freezer, the refrigerator or even the pantry.
A very popular option when considering a vacuum sealer is the FoodSaver V3460. It’s upright design means that is takes up less room in your kitchen than other system. Using the vacuum sealing system is straightforward and easy to use. A choice of settings allow you to vacuum seal even delicate foods such as berries and leaf vegetables.
Many users have commented on the ease of operation and the convenience provided. This ensures that the FoodSaver V3460 will become a well-used and useful kitchen gadget.
- Space-saving vertical design
- Fully automatic operation with 2 vacuum speeds
Our FoodSaver V3460 Review
The FoodSaver V3460 is very simple, almost instinctive to use. Many people start to use it very effectively without any reference to the instructions. Some people do have problems and tend to blame the machine, reading the instructions from the start means that you will have the best possible results right from the beginning.
The FoodSaver V3460 has been thoughtfully designed to take as little space as possible in your kitchen. The upright configuration has a minimal footprint and included in that compact size is the space to store the bag roll.
The extra wide sealing strip means that when sealing the bag you are always assured of a clean seal – no more wasted bags (and food) due to an ineffective seal.
One thing that can be very irritating about sealing raw meat is that sometimes there is an overflow of liquid which can be awkward to clean up. The FoodSaver over comes this by having a removable, dishwasher safe drip tray.
The first thing that you will note when using the FoodSaver V3460 vacuum sealer is how easy it is to use. The instruction say that all you need to do is just place the food you want to store in the multi-layered FoodSaver bags, place the open end of the bag in the FoodSaver, press the type of sealing for the food you are preserving and the machine automatically starts the process of sealing – it really is as simple as that. In reality some unusual shaped food can take a little practice to get the right method of sealing.
A tip that has been found very useful is do not try and use the minimum amount of the sealing bag. Using a little extra means that even the most awkward shaped items are easier to seal. The additional cost of the bag used is minimal.
An additional feature that the FoodSaver V3460 has is a marinade setting that allows you to marinate meat in minutes rather than the hours it would normally take. A clever additional feature that means that this food sealer will become a useful kitchen tool rather be consigned to the place that many other kitchen gadgets end up.
FoodSaver V3460 Pros & Cons
FoodSaver V3460 Best Features
- Automatic operation – operating the FoodSaver V3460 is simplicity itself. The automatic sensing ensures that the food that you wish to store will be sealed it the optimum vacuum, whether it be meat, cheese or lettuce.
- Upright design – the small footprint (less than 18” x 8”) of the V3460 means that it takes up little space on your kitchen counter. This means that you don’t have to store it away and take it out every time that you want to use it.
- Marinade setting – allowing to rapidly and thoroughly marinate meat in minutes rather than leave for hours.
- Built-in roll holder and bag cutter – added convenience with no searching for bags and scissors when you want to use your sealer
- Ready available supply of additional vacuum sealer rolls – available in many retail outlets and online.
- Dishwasher safe drip tray – an easy clean drip tray to catch any leakage of fluids prior to sealing the bag.
- Extends freshness of food by up to five time’s standard storage times – whether stored in the freezer, refrigerator or larder.
FoodSaver V3460 Conclusion
We can honestly say that we’ve never before come across a machine as advanced and well equipped for the budding vacuum sealer user before – the numerous benefits that allow whoever makes use of the FoodSaver V4880 means that everyone benefits – even if your kids can’t be trusted with the vacuum sealer itself they can still be trusted with the lunch and leftover container.
If you’ve been searching around for a vacuum sealer but you’re just not sure what would be appropriate for you, you love receiving free practical things without losing the quality of the main item, then the FoodSaver V4880 is for you. With all of the benefits of the ‘starter kit’ you too can learn how to vacuum seal (and reap the benefits) in no time!